Sunday, August 4, 2013

Big city loving

Adjusting to living in a big city can be interesting and a bit of a culture shock. I've had a few longer term experiences with urban city life, but nothing real until I moved to Washington, DC about a year ago. Since move in day I've noticed some big themes.



1. Finding your keys
You're always carrying 3 bags at once and have to dig mercilessly through mounds of your belongings just to find your freaking keys. They are so coy and hide from you. You have to search for them like you do for the Dorito with the most seasoning. Oh and also, usually you have to pee so you're squirming around outside of your apartment door, clawing for your keys, deep breathing, telling yourself NO I WILL NOT PEE MY PANTS and really hoping that what you're telling yourself is true. You find your keys, you open the door, you drop all your shit and run to the bathroom. And you promise yourself that from here on out you will put your keys in that perfect little side pocket in your purse so they are always easily accessible. But, it all happens again the next day.

2. Dirty, dirty
So, big cities are generally pretty dirty which is a shame, especially in the summer because it gets REALLY smelly (not so much in DC, but NYC stanks). And with the filth brings the rats and the trash and the smells and the bugs and just the all around nastiness. Pretty gross, but this dirtiness aspect is one of the easiest things to get used to, probably because I hold on tightly to my naivety that those little creatures rustling in the bushes and scampering across the alleyway are simply night loving squirrels! Not rats, you guys, never rats. Unless you're a germaphobe just don't think about all the grime and you'll be alright.

3. Walking everywhere
This is my favorite change of all time. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back. I only sometimes want to complain about this, like when it is 98 degrees out with 100% humidity or when I want to redeem my groupon for $30 worth of pies, but have to use it all at one time and don't know if I can handle that many pies without a vehicle. Other than that, I am super happy! Walking gives you time to think about your life, to listen to great music, to catch up on audiobooks or podcasts and to potentially run into your Prince Charming. Points for the fact that it burns calories and keeps you moving too!

4. People. PEOPLE ALL THE TIME.
I generally like people. But not when they are everywhere I turn, breathing loudly, grazing into me, WALKING SLOWLY. My anger towards these public offenders has been sort of muted because I live in the nation's capital, meaning there are always tourists and various visitors. I've had to learn to deal with people all the time everywhere always. It's taken some serious meditation and deep breathing on my part. Maybe if slow walkers did some deep breathing of their own and changed their ways the world would be a better place? 

5. Public transit...more people
This goes along with the walking and the people. I don't love public transportation, even though the DC metro is pretty great. We all have our horror stories, but at the end of the day the massive and intricate public transportation systems that big cities have are pretty impressive and I am grateful for them. Respect. 

6. Lack of personal green space
This one bums me out a lot, a lot because I've been spoiled with such a beautiful garden my mom maintains at home! Flowers and grass and bushes and herbs and trees are happy things. Gardens are special places and some of my favorite spots of serenity in the world (Hello, Kensington Gardens!). Hell, I'd take a measly green bush on my concrete rooftop. DC is full of squares that are kind of like parks and if one plans correctly, one can claim a corner all one's own, ignoring all the PEOPLE moseying around. (Can I get a high five for my commitment to sticking with using "one"?)  

While some of these adjustments have taken time, I'm a fan of big city living and wouldn't change it for the world. So many options, so much excitement, so much fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment